How to use Canva
1. Your Canva homepageThe Canva homepage is where all of your designs will be saved. To visit your home page go to www.canva.com To return here from anywhere else in the site, click the Canva logo in top left corner.
2. Starting a new designClick on the icon in the top panel of the design type you want to use, such as ‘Social Media’ or ‘Presentation'. Click on the ‘More' button on the right-hand side to see more templates.
3. How to use custom dimensionsClick on ‘Use custom dimensions’ on the upper right hand corner, and use the drop down to choose the measurement units (pixels/mm). This is helpful when making a graphic for a blog or a website (as long as you know what your measurements should be).
4. Creating your first designAfter selecting a design type, a canvas will open with the right dimensions. This sample shows a Facebook post. On the left side of your design you'll see a number of layouts for that type. You can choose one of these layouts by clicking or dragging it to your canvas.
5. Edit your textClick and edit the words to suit your needs. You can change font, colour and size from the mini toolbar. For more editing options click the arrow on the right.
6. Edit your backgroundEdit the background color by clicking on the ‘Background’ tab and choosing a new one.
7. Downloading your designWhen you're done with the design, you can download it as a JPG, PNG or PDF file by clicking the ‘Download' button.
8. Upload your own photosClick the ‘Upload‘ tab then the big green button ‘Upload your own images' and select your images. Keep files under 25 mb each, and make sure it's in JPG, PNG, or SVG format. You can also drag and drop them into this space. These will be saved for future use.
9. Searching for imagesYou can search for images in Canva’s library. Many are free to use, but some you will need to pay for (premium images). Enter a keyword and images will appear on the left. To use an image, you can either drag it onto the page or just click on it and resize as needed.
10. Using premium imagesPremium images cost US $1 to ‘download' into a design in order to remove the watermark. Once you’re finished designing and you’re ready to download your completed image, there will be a prompt to inform you about the required payment of US $1 for the image. You also have the option to purchase bundles of image credits in order to get more savings. Note: you have 24 hours to edit and use the image, after which you will have to pay for it again if you would like to use it repeatedly.
11. GridsNovice designers might find it useful to apply a grid to their design to ensure it is neatly aligned. Simply search in Canva for the word ‘grid' and then drag one onto your page. Note: if you are using an existing template, you won’t need a grid, but if you are designing from scratch, a grid could be helpful.
12. Use photo filtersOnce you have an image in your design, you can apply filters. Click on the image and filters will appear. These can be used to correct an image or to give it a different emotional feeling.
13. Duplicating and deleting your designsIf you want to copy and change a design you already have in Canva, you can:
- from your Canva homepage, hover over a design, and click the arrow that will appear in the right corner. Select ‘Make a copy’. Rename your design in the header. You can also delete here.
- or when editing a design, select ‘File’ from the header menu and the ‘Make a copy’.